Check out the Photo Gallery below!
Book your stay
Or Call (760) 408-0768 Now!
2 Bedrooms/1 Bathroom
Summer Rate: $150
Daily Rate/Summer Holiday Rate: $187
Holiday/Special Event: $233
Weekly Rate: $1122 (7th night free!). Check with owner for the summer weekly rate.
NOTE: Weekly rate does not apply during holiday weeks. Booking system will not apply weekly discount, email/call the owner for instructions, see contact info at the bottom of the page.
Minimum 2-night stay | Accommodates 6 or more
The spacious two bedroom 1940s Rock homesteader cabin on acreage has a great outdoor space for entertaining. Take in the expansive views in every direction from the porch swing, fire up the grill, and enjoy the starry skies as you gather around the fire pit. The cabin is one of the oldest structures in the area and is said to have been built before the existence of La Contenta Road. We imagine that the rocks used, which are not native to the area, must have been transported across the desert landscape by Model T. Luckily, we've got roads now! The house sits at the corner of La Contenta and Covington Flats, a little-known "back" entrance to the national park, away from the crowds. Many artistic touches inside and out. This house is great for adventurous families and groups of friends. Plenty of parking.
- 1100 square foot home.
- 2 bedrooms: 1 king-sized bed, 1 queen-sized bed. 2 long couches in the open format living room.
- 1 bathroom with custom tile work.
- Full-sized kitchen equipped with cookware and custom tile work.
- Porch swing, grill, and a number of outdoor seating areas.
- Stone fireplace, wood burning stove and evaporative cooler allow for comfortable temperatures year round.
- Additional bunk house is located on the property with a double bed/twin bunk bed and couch. Great alternative to camping on the property if your party is larger than 6.
- Free Wifi.
- All linens and towels provided.
- Pet-friendly, fenced yard.
"The weekend we stayed was 90 degrees or more but inside the cabin was very comfortable to our surprise which made our stay very enjoyable. We visited Joshua tree during the day and came back at night time with no issues. The drive going to the cabin makes you feel like you are at Joshua tree park because of the scenery and the sunset is very pretty. Fenced in yard for our pups, wifi available, bring your laptop if you feel like watching stuff since no tv here but books and board games galore. Farmers market on saturdays! Keys view point is our favorite spot in Joshua tree if you are going to drive around, saw fox, kangaroo rat and a bunch of road runners:) Lori is easy to reach for questions. Great trip!"
— Adelaide - Spring 2021
"The Stone Cabin is its own adventure. We had no problem finding it/getting there with my Verizon gps and SUV. Upon entering the property we were greeted with the most spectacular views and peaceful seclusion. The cabin was clean, full of interesting knickknacks and had all the amenities we needed for our short 3 night stay. I was telecommuting and my children were online learning and the WiFi worked great for all four of us. Our trip landed on some cold weather (40•F, 20 mph winds, rain and a smattering of snow) but the space and wall heaters kept us warm and comfortable. The close proximity to town and the Joshua Tree park entrance was a great plus, too. Would love to stay here again during warmer weather to enjoy some star gazing."
— Courtney - Spring 2021
Staying At Thunderbird Lodge Retreat: The Fine Print
- Please note that rates are subject to change, and do not include taxes & fees. Special rates, are not valid during holiday weeks. Rates are typically higher the weekend immediately before, of, or immediately after a national holiday.
- A minimum stay of two (2) nights is required, three (3) night minimum during holiday weeks.
- Our rates accommodate up to four (4) guests. If your party is larger than four (4), additional guests can sleep on air mattresses or camp on our grounds for $15 per person / per night.
- Family/Child Policy: Children under 18 years of age stay free with an accompanying adult.
- Check-in: 3:00PM
- Check-out: 12:00PM (noon)
- Deposit: we require the full amount of the reservation (100% of the total) at the time of booking. All state and local taxes will apply.
- We charge a one-time $50 cleaning charge per stay per house.
- All of our cabins are non-smoking. Guests may smoke outside only. Guests who smoke in their cabin will be charged a $250 cleaning fee.
- A gentle reminder that should a change or cancellation become necessary, please let us know by 3:00PM (PST), 14 days prior to your arrival date to receive a full refund of your deposit. If the reservation is cancelled less than two weeks (14 days) prior to arrival, you will forfeit 50% of the deposit unless we are able to re-rent your cabin. Equally, if your departure date is changed and is earlier than confirmed, we require similar notice.
- We want you to enjoy your time at the Thunderbird Lodge Retreat; however, parties in our cabins are not permitted at any time without our approval. Parties or other special events at our vacation rentals must be pre-approved by owner Lori Portillo. Additional charges may apply depending on size and nature of your gathering. Unauthorized events will be subject to additional charges. The minimum fee is $300 for an unauthorized event that we find out about after the fact. Please note, owner Lori Portillo and several Thunderbird Lodge Retreat employees live in the neighborhood. Guests hosting unauthorized events may be asked to leave the premises immediately. There will be no refund of rent or other taxes and fees for unauthorized events
- Damages: We hold a $200 refundable deposit for damages.
- Parking: There is plenty of free parking on each property.
- Pets are welcome at Thunderbird Lodge Retreat at no extra charge.