Summer Rate: $99
Daily Rate/Summer Holiday Rate: $125
Holiday/Special Event Rate: $156
Weekly Rate: $750 (7th night free!). Check with owner for the summer weekly rate.
NOTE: Weekly rate does not apply during holiday weeks. Booking system will not apply weekly discount, email/call the owner for instructions, see contact info at the bottom of the page.
Minimum 2-night stay | Accommodates 4
This secluded homesteader cabin, which rests on 22.5 private acres adjacent to Joshua Tree National Park, is the perfect spot to unplug and relax. Great patio with custom tilework and grill has a great view of the landscape at sunrise and sunset. Take it all in as you sip a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Lots of artistic touches inside and out. Walk out the door to private trails and Joshua’s Perch on your own personal mountain. Plenty of parking. Near the remote Covington Flats entrance to the park.
- Studio - 600 square foot: 1 king sized bed, 1 sleeper sofa, and 1 day bed.
- Full bath with claw foot tub.
- Full-sized kitchen equipped with cookware.
- Outdoor bar, grill, porch swing, and a number of seating areas.
- Wood burning stove and evaporative cooler allow for a comfortable temperature year round.
- Free Wifi.
- All linens and towels provided.
- Pet-friendly, fenced yard.
“I have only positive and glowing words for Lori and Shell House. It’s rustic, charming and comfortable with plenty of comforts. The generous outdoor space (complete with grill, couches, table and bench swing) is where we spent most of our time. Coordinating with Lori was pleasant and a total breeze. I first went up in mid-August with some coworkers and had such a fantastic time we went back just two weeks later.”
“I loved the Shell House! I felt totally at home. It’s obvious that Lori put a lot of time and thought into what would me her guests feel comfortable. I caught up on the best sleep I’ve had in months (the bed is divine), and spent hours hanging out on the porch watching lizards and quail and rabbits dart all over the yard. I hope to make it back here really soon. Thanks Lori!”
Staying At Thunderbird Lodge Retreat: The Fine Print
- Please note that rates are subject to change, and do not include taxes & fees. Special rates, are not valid during holiday weeks. Rates are typically higher the weekend immediately before, of, or immediately after a national holiday.
- A minimum stay of two (2) nights is required, three (3) night minimum during holiday weeks.
- Our rates accommodate up to four (4) guests. If your party is larger than four (4), additional guests can sleep on air mattresses or camp on our grounds for $15 per person / per night.
- Family/Child Policy: Children under 18 years of age stay free with an accompanying adult.
- Check-in: 3:00PM
- Check-out: 12:00PM (noon)
- Deposit: we require the full amount of the reservation (100% of the total) at the time of booking. All state and local taxes will apply.
- We charge a one-time $50 cleaning charge per stay per house.
- All of our cabins are non-smoking. Guests may smoke outside only. Guests who smoke in their cabin will be charged a $250 cleaning fee.
- A gentle reminder that should a change or cancellation become necessary, please let us know by 3:00PM (PST), 14 days prior to your arrival date to receive a full refund of your deposit. If the reservation is cancelled less than two weeks (14 days) prior to arrival, you will forfeit 50% of the deposit unless we are able to re-rent your cabin. Equally, if your departure date is changed and is earlier than confirmed, we require similar notice.
- We want you to enjoy your time at the Thunderbird Lodge Retreat; however, parties in our cabins are not permitted at any time without our approval. Parties or other special events at our vacation rentals must be pre-approved by owner Lori Portillo. Additional charges may apply depending on size and nature of your gathering. Unauthorized events will be subject to additional charges. The minimum fee is $300 for an unauthorized event that we find out about after the fact. Please note, owner Lori Portillo and several Thunderbird Lodge Retreat employees live in the neighborhood. Guests hosting unauthorized events may be asked to leave the premises immediately. There will be no refund of rent or other taxes and fees for unauthorized events.
- Damages: We hold a $200 refundable deposit for damages.
- Parking: There is plenty of free parking on each property.
- Pets are welcome at Thunderbird Lodge Retreat at no extra charge.