2 Bedrooms/2 Bathrooms
Summer Rate: $120
Daily Rate/Summer Holiday Rate: $150
Holiday/Special Event: $188
Weekly Rate: $900 (7th night free!). Check with owner for the summer weekly rate.
NOTE: Weekly rate does not apply during holiday weeks. Booking system will not apply weekly discount, email/call the owner for instructions, see contact info at the bottom of the page.
Minimum 2-night stay | Accommodates 6 or more
The spacious two bedroom 1940s Rock homesteader cabin on acreage has a great outdoor space for entertaining. Take in the expansive views in every direction from the porch swing, fire up the grill, and enjoy the starry skies as you gather around the fire pit. The cabin is one of the oldest structures in the area and is said to have been built before the existence of La Contenta Road. We imagine that the rocks used, which are not native to the area, must have been transported across the desert landscape by Model T. Luckily, we've got roads now! The house sits at the corner of La Contenta and Covington Flats, a little-known "back" entrance to the national park, away from the crowds. Many artistic touches inside and out. This house is great for adventurous families and groups of friends. Plenty of parking.
- 1100 square foot home.
- 2 bedrooms: 1 king-sized bed, 1 full-sized bed. 2 long couches in the open format living room.
- 1 bathroom with custom tile work.
- Full-sized kitchen equipped with cookware and custom tile work.
- Porch swing, grill, and a number of outdoor seating areas.
- Stone fireplace, wood burning stove and evaporative cooler allow for comfortable temperatures year round.
- Additional bunk house is located on the property with a double bed/twin bunk bed and couch. Great alternative to camping on the property if your party is larger than 6.
- Free Wifi.
- All linens and towels provided.
- Pet-friendly, fenced yard.
“My girlfriends and I really enjoyed the house and exploring all the land it sits on. If you’re looking for a very real and unique experience in Joshua Tree I highly recommend this home. We especially enjoyed sitting on the property in the morning and watching the wildlife. Lori was wonderful and quick to help with anything we needed!”
“Lori’s place was absolutely amazing!!! I had a few friends in town visiting and we only got to spend one night there (not nearly enough!), but we are already planning to make Lori’s retreat an annual event! Everything about this place is charming, unique, and just an absolute gem of a place. Thank you again Lori, I’ll be back to stay here very soon!”
Staying At Thunderbird Lodge Retreat: The Fine Print
- Please note that rates are subject to change, and do not include taxes & fees. Special rates, are not valid during holiday weeks. Rates are typically higher the weekend immediately before, of, or immediately after a national holiday.
- A minimum stay of two (2) nights is required, three (3) night minimum during holiday weeks.
- Our rates accommodate up to four (4) guests. If your party is larger than four (4), additional guests can sleep on air mattresses or camp on our grounds for $15 per person / per night.
- Family/Child Policy: Children under 18 years of age stay free with an accompanying adult.
- Check-in: 3:00PM
- Check-out: 12:00PM (noon)
- Deposit: we require the full amount of the reservation (100% of the total) at the time of booking. All state and local taxes will apply.
- We charge a one-time $50 cleaning charge per stay per house.
- All of our cabins are non-smoking. Guests may smoke outside only. Guests who smoke in their cabin will be charged a $250 cleaning fee.
- A gentle reminder that should a change or cancellation become necessary, please let us know by 3:00PM (PST), 14 days prior to your arrival date to receive a full refund of your deposit. If the reservation is cancelled less than two weeks (14 days) prior to arrival, you will forfeit 50% of the deposit unless we are able to re-rent your cabin. Equally, if your departure date is changed and is earlier than confirmed, we require similar notice.
- We want you to enjoy your time at the Thunderbird Lodge Retreat; however, parties in our cabins are not permitted at any time without our approval. Parties or other special events at our vacation rentals must be pre-approved by owner Lori Portillo. Additional charges may apply depending on size and nature of your gathering. Unauthorized events will be subject to additional charges. The minimum fee is $300 for an unauthorized event that we find out about after the fact. Please note, owner Lori Portillo and several Thunderbird Lodge Retreat employees live in the neighborhood. Guests hosting unauthorized events may be asked to leave the premises immediately. There will be no refund of rent or other taxes and fees for unauthorized events
- Damages: We hold a $200 refundable deposit for damages.
- Parking: There is plenty of free parking on each property.
- Pets are welcome at Thunderbird Lodge Retreat at no extra charge.